Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More on paint choices

In addition to loving to paint and possibly being color blind, I'm certain that the former owners were also avid watchers of HGTV. I believe this to be true because of our dining room. Only HGTV could account for the travesty that is our dining room. Don't get me wrong, I too am an avid viewer of HGTV, especially shows like Color Splash with David Bromstad, but watching some of the lesser shows can lead one down a dangerous path of do-it-yourself enthusiasm.

So on to the travesty. 3 walls of the dining room were painted a light mustard yellow, while the accent wall (clue 1 to HGTV's involvement here) was a dark mustard yellow. I'm not a big fan of yellow. Yellow has its place, but that place is not on my dining room walls. Especially mustard yellow. Ew! The walls were not simply painted either, there was a faux treatment to them (clue 2).

All the walls appeared to have a mottled appearance which would indicate some kind of work with a sponge, though its hard to tell what exactly. And on top of this varying shades of mustard yellow, they sponged on a light metallic gold (clue 3). This is seriously one ugly dining room.

I bring it up since I will spend the day tomorrow priming 3 of the walls. I'm thinking 2 coats should do it. You wouldn't guess it, but yellow is one of the harder colors to cover up. I've already painted one of the walls in there Pecan Sandie. It's the same color that we painted the office which is just off the living room. It's a subtle contrast with the Weathered Sandstone of the rest of the room. We'll paint the rest of the dining the same Weathered Sandstone.

Interestingly enough, the wall we picked to be the accent wall in our dining room is not the same as the the accent wall picked by the former owners. We picked the wall with the fireplace, seemed to make more sense.

No comments: