Thursday, August 14, 2008

Neopets continued...


So I posted before about Neopets and how I love to play. I've been a member for 4 years and I'll be honest a lot of the things that have happened on the site in the last 2 years (since the site was bought out by Viacom) have me wondering just how long I can last. Things seem to come now in sort of a double-edged sword kind of way that ends up leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Here's an example, they gave pets the ability we wear clothes and have backgrounds and trinkets. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for a good game of dress up so this would appear to be 'a good thing.' At the same time though the NC Mall was introduced, which is a place where you can spend real life money on virtual items for your pets, in this case clothes, backgrounds and trinkets. And as you might guess, all the nicest things are available in the NC Mall. You can get stuff with the in-game currency, but they are never quite as cool.

Want cooler clothes? Pay up. Want better furniture for your neohome? Pay up. Want to view the website without a huge amount of ads? Pay up (or in my case use FireFox and AdBlock). The site takes in tons of money and yet they just have to keep coming up with ways to make this free to play website more and more reliant on having to pay.

...I guess that I still have Noil, who you'll here about at another time (again).

post editted...just too damn long...

No comments: