Friday, May 22, 2009

Wii

About a month ago my mom was at someone's house and their kids had a Wii. And she was smitten. She asked me the next day about Wiis. Where could she get one? (Costco has good deals on them.) How much were they? ($250.) Was the Wii Fit included? (No.) How much was it? ($90.) Did we have one? (No.) Why not? (Too expensive.) I dutifully gave her all the information she asked for, the whole time thinking, "Really? You want a Wii?" I've been wanting one for a while, but I just couldn't picture my mom actually using it.

The reason I couldn't picture her using it is that she is extremely technology challenged. She wants to be able to use all this new fangled stuff, but she's not actually interested in learning how to use it. Do you know how many pictures are trapped on her digital camera memory cards? Cards plural since some are now full. I think the GPS for her car actually got returned after she couldn't figure out how to use it, and realized she doesn't go many places in her car that she doesn't know how to get to.

So why did I spend all this time facilitating her Wii fascination? Well, I figured under the best possible circumstances she would get one, DH and I would have to help her get it set up, and then after a few months of it sitting there, we'd probably end up with it. I know, selfish. But in reality I figured she would just lose interest before ordering. As it turns out she quickly realized that she wouldn't end up using it all that much, so just ordered one for us.

Thanks, Mom. Technology may be a mystery to you, but your generosity towards the people you love is unmatched and greatly appreciated.

No comments: