Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Help

So here's how I ended up with 5 little girls helping me pull weeds in the garden...

While we were on vacation the weeds in the garden tried to stage a coup and take over. They were held at bay by my mother spreading some bark while we were gone, but there were still plenty to deal with upon my return. So out I go, weed puller in one hand, River's leash in the other. Can't be without my good little helper...

It's not long before the neighbor girls (ages 7 and 3) notice I'm out there. Well, actually what they notice is that River is out there. The upshot is that they come over to play with her, which is alright since she's not all that much help. The presence of River and the girls then acts as a beacon to all the other little girls in the area (ages 5-8). DH and I are widely known in our neighborhood as "River's parents."

Eventually... "What are you doing?" "Just pulling some weeds." "Can I help?" "Sure." "Can I help too?" "Yep, go for it." "I wanna help!" "Everyone can help." "Can I use the snippers?" "No." "Can I?" "No." "Ow!" "Careful of the weeds with prickles, everyone. Leave those for me to get later." "Is this a weed?" "Yes." "Is this a weed?" "No." "Can I take River for a walk?" "No!" ...and so on.

2 comments:

Pigtailed Teacher said...

Sounds like a day in the life of a teacher. Yes, no, no, yes, you sit down, etc. It also reminds me why right now I'm quite happy not having any kids of my own. :) You should check out my new niece though. She's quite cute, at 8 months old. Her mom started a blog at: http://mom3908.blogspot.com/

Carrie said...

I don't think I could handle being a teacher. I was so grateful when they all scattered for dinner.

Your niece is adorable. I had checked out that blog before...from a link in one of your earlier blog entries.

I too have a new little one, but mine is a nephew named Matthew who is now 4 months old. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86525&l=0e543c5ad1&id=100000009514993