Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Opening Day!

...of deer season. I know this because DH was up at 4am all decked out in camo and off to meet up with 3 other guys to get an early start. With any luck by the end of the day (i.e. noon) we'll have out 100 or so pounds of venison for the year in the bag, so to speak. If not today he has about 5 more days before the end of the season to go, I just know that he'd like to limit the amount of 4am wake up calls he has to answer.

This is the first time since DH moved out here 6 years ago that he's going deer hunting, since now we have a house, hence a place to put a chest freezer, hence a place to put said 100 or so pounds of venison. Personally we could have the whole thing turned into deer jerky and I'd be happy, but I'm told there will be summer sausage (whatever that is), steaks and ground meat as well. With the amount of hunting buddies DH has it's not like I haven't cooked venison plenty of times (it's very good in tacos) I just like the jerky best.

edit: No deer today. =( One of the other guys got one though.

No comments: