Saturday, October 8, 2011

Small Town Celebrations - Corn Maze/Pumpkin Patch Edition

Despite a weather forecast all week that called for rain, today was pretty beautiful. Some clouds, but some sun and blue sky as well. Sort of a perfect day for some kind of outdoor Autumnal activity.

As luck would have it, my friend Sally (with whom I endeavor to celebrate all things small town-ish, like county fairs and holiday craft bazaars) and I had made plans to take in a local corn maze and pumpkin patch today. We had visions of tramping around a muddy corn field in rain boots and slickers all week, and ended up not even needing our coats the whole day. Awesome!

I'm not sure we're the target demographic of corn mazes and/or pumpkin patches, as we are not children, nor do we have children, but we had a splendid time. We got our punch cards (because apparently there are punch cards involved in such things) and headed off into the maze.

We found the first marker by accident, pure and simple. A little more informed about what we were doing, we headed off and within 25 minutes had racked up 4 punches on our cards. At this point we were feeling a little cocky. 'This is easy!' we thought.

Of course, that's when we got lost. Leaving the fourth marker we had a rough idea where we would have to be to find the fifth. We missed it. Not by much maybe, but we were probably near the exit before we realized it and that we would have to back track (easier said than done) to find the missing marker.

It took us another 25 minutes from the time we left the fourth marker to find the fifth, but eventually we did locate it and were back on track for the sixth and final marker (before having to try and find the exit). All told the maze took us just over an hour. Good times.

Unfortunately for us, the place where we had gone for the corn maze had a pretty sorry offering in the pumpkin patch department. We decided to see what the other corn maze/pumpkin patch in the area had to offer. And we were not disappointed...


It was love at first sight. The picture doesn't even really do it justice. That right there is 19 inches, 37 pounds of pure pumpkin awesomesauce. Let that sink in for a moment. 37 pounds. I'm not sure it's even hollow...it might be pure rind. Sally found it a little friend in the smaller pumpkin area.

And what did I pay for such a magnificent specimen of gourd, you ask? 12 bucks! And that includes the little guy! Bargain!

Carve it, you say?! First of all, there are 3 weeks before Halloween and if I carved it now it would rot well before the Trick-or-Treaters had a chance to bask in its presence. And second, the plan was never to carve it, but to paint it like an enormous piece of candy corn! I know, right?!

Update: The painting took way longer than I had imagined it would. No surprise there really. But it turned out fantastic and was a big hit with the Trick-or-treaters!


Sadly the "little friend" pumpkin rotted before the big day and would not have photographed well.

1 comment:

Amy Davis said...

I love the candy corn pumpkins. I can't wait to see a picture of yours all done up. :)