All that nice weather I was writing about earlier this month? Gone. Now it's time for the payback...the first storm of the season is upon us.
Woke up Monday to snow falling and had a good three inches by they time light started to fade. Some may scoff at our three inches, but we don't live in an area well equipped to handle snow, so any snow is a big deal. Once it got dark the winds picked up. One of the trees on our neighbor's property went down. Especially unnerving since I saw it happen. Fortunately it didn't hit anything but their fence (not the common one with our property).
The power went out around 7pm and I had a grand time trying to get the fire started. It's hard to read the sarcasm there so I'll clarify that it was not a grand time at all. Even with a Duraflame log it took me quite a while to get things going. River and I enjoyed the fire together for a few hours until DH made it home from work to join us. I'll interject here how grateful I am that we now have a truck with 4 wheel drive. Much nicer on the nerves when DH is driving in treacherous weather (I myself am on staycation this week so avoided the whole driving thing altogether).
Our power came back on around 10pm right after we'd had our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. I'd make a joke about great timing, but I count us very lucky to have power at all and am grateful that we didn't have to spend today without power. Forty thousand people are without power in our county and the high today was 24 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope that people without power are somehow able to stay warm or get to warming stations even with the roads being so dangerously icy.
No comments:
Post a Comment