Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rock the Vote

It was sort of a Herculean effort to vote this year due to the size of the ballot. There were 6 initiatives and 3 referendums to go through for the state in addition to the regular state races, a couple of federal races, then the county and judicial races.

In theory I like initiatives. Power to the people and all that. In practice, they make me worry because they're true democracy. And while DH and I thoughtfully read through each of them, including the fiscal impact statement (which DH graciously explained to me on more than one occasion), I think that most people make their decisions based on the biased 30 second commercials on the radio and tv.

And lest we forget the all important race for Public Utility District Commissioner. It's a little hard for me to believe that more than one person wants this job...maybe it pays well. I'd like to say that there was a well reasoned out decision on who to vote for, but it was more like this..."Well, this guy is the incumbent and this woman doesn't know how to use commas properly." That's a direct quote from DH.

No comments: