Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vegetales (Part 1)

I've decided not to do a separate blog about my vegetable growing efforts this year. Too much work. I'll just group the entries under the same heading and whatever the latest installment is.

So to recap from last year...I grew 4 kinds of cherry tomatoes (Sweet 100s, Sweet Millions, Sungold and Yellow Pear). The Sungold did the best and the 2 plants that I had gave more than I could eat on my own. The Sweet 100s and Sweet Millions did about the same and gave decent yields. The bummer of the group was my Yellow Pear plant, but in its defense last Summer was not great tomato growing weather. I also grew sugar peas which did very well.

I went to get my vegetable plants this morning. Way behind schedule it seems, but the signs up at the nurseries said that our weather was still too cold for the tomato plants so not to plant them yet, or to bring them inside at night, so perhaps not all is lost. Sadly, I was not able to find any Sungold tomato plants at either place. There are a couple of other places I have to look, so hopefully I'll find one.

I got another Yellow Pear and a Sweet Millions. I think I'll stick to one tomato plant per color this year. 5 plants last year was too much for me to eat on my own. I got more sugar peas, though a different variety than last year I believe, so we'll have to see how they do. I also decided to get cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash (small amounts of each since I'm the only one who eats them).

I'll get pictures up once I actually get them into their containers...

No comments: