Monday, July 12, 2010

How did it come to this?

What have I been doing that I haven't had a new blog post in nearly a month? Well, I've been busy...

My dad is home for the summer, and since he lives in a condo while up here and has no shop of his own, he is only too happy to show up and work on home improvement projects with me.

First...we made the frame for this enormous mirror my mom found at a thrift shop for $12. Great mirror, terrible frame. So we made what appears to be a simple frame that is far more elaborate in it's construction than one might imagine. The wood and stain for the frame cost about $20, so for a total of around $32 I now have a mirror that would cost $200-$300 from a normal retail store.


Then it was time to tackle some fencing. I wanted to add a gate to the backyard on the side of the house that was lacking one, and since we were doing that already I decided that I wanted to move our fence line forward on that side of the house so that it matched up with our neighbor's fence line (20-25 feet closer to the front). That too now is finished and I'm very pleased with the outcome. We saved some money on this project too, but only by having an inept cashier at Home Depot that didn't scan all the materials even though he made a big show about being thorough.


Next up...closet doors for the guest room!

No comments: